Tuesday 21 June 2011

The decline of women in business

A lot of people contact me for business advice and I always endeavour to help. I think that it is so important in today's society to promote women in business and to encourage a more entrepreneurial stance. It is very shocking that in the past 3 years, the number of women launching their own empire has not grown even 0.1%. Why? For a number of factors but namely: the high costs involved, the negative connotations attached to being a female entrepreneur, the difficulties in juggling the work/life balance, raising the finance, getting the publicity, lacking confidence and more. I have vowed this year to try and make a difference. So far I have done the following:

1. Become an Ambassador for UK Female Entrepreneurship - a fabulous charity that aims to inspire more women into enterprise. Have a look at their website - it is pretty in depth and certainly looks promising. There are only 50 Ambassadors in the coutry (you have to be asked) and there is a lot to do - including present/assist with 6 events a year. If you are a woman who is looking to set up her own business, get in touch!

2. Been nominated for Britain's Top Real Role Model - I am really chuffed with this as it would certainly help my profile to say the least! I think this idea is a fabulous one - enough of the Essex Girls/Big Brother/Britain's Next Top Model - let's bring about some real role models instead - those that are still working incredibly hard to build their name/brand. It's not all about celebrity status and copying who's wearing what!

3. Being seen in the Mail on Sunday and FMWF for my entrepreneurial flair - again, I was so thrilled to be featured in the newspaper and it certainly helps get BoBelle's name out there. I hope that my features really help inspire others to believe in themselves.

4. Being asked to speak at the Start Up Britain Marketing Conference - I'll keep you posted on how this goes....I hope well!! Fortunately I have done quite a few presentations now, but you still always have those nerves....if you would like to attend, it is free, visit the link above and register your details. There's no time like the present to kick start your action plan.

5. Finding more groups/individuals via Twitter/Facebook - in doing so I came across Inspirational Woman Magazine, and they have featured me (very pleased!) - click on the links to read more.

I will keep you updated on how things go - if you have any questions or comments, please do feel free to post! The recession has brought about a lot of sadness, uncertainty and difficulties; let's try to get back on track and encourage more independece, growth and entrepreneurial activity. Remember, support your local shops and labels as without them, we cannot develop as a nation.

Have a great week!

Best wishes,

Claire

3 comments:

Sierra said...

That's great that you are aware of this and striving to make a difference! :) Love the great tips!

Anonymous said...

We have become an Ambassador for UK Female Entrepreneurship too!

Gorgeous and amazing pieces here!!

If you love fashion you should follow the new blog for up and coming designer Bunmi Koko to get all the latest tips and exclusive pictures and videos from our time at New York and London Fashion Week.

We love your blog and would love you to follow!

Love the BK Team xxx

BoBelle London said...

Thank you so much to both of you - I am thrilled that you love my posts. Apologies for the delay in responding, I have been away on holiday for a week (lucky me!)

I am certainly trying to encourage more enterprise - please keep reading and spreading the word :-)

Many thanks,

Claire